CONCLUDING REMARKS BY H.E. FESTUS G. MOGAE CHAIRMAN OF JMEC TO THE 20th JMEC PLENARY WEDNESDAY, 18th OCTOBER 2017 JUBA, SOUTH SUDAN
Honorable Ministers, Excellencies, Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen;
- I thank you all for the deliberations we have had today. I welcome the Honorable Minister, Dr Martin Elia Lumoro for delivering the TGoNU’s observations and response to the JMEC Working Committees evaluation reports.
- As I said earlier, these reports, will all be submitted to IGAD and the international community, to guide deliberations towards the revitalization of implementation of the Peace Agreement in the coming weeks and months.
- I commend all the Committee Chairpersons, their members for the rigor and honesty with which they undertook their assessments. I also commend the TGoNU for its support and participation in the Committee meetings and for their rejoinder.
- We are all now, in a much better position to undertake the revitalisation process from an informed point of view.
- In the meantime, I continue to urge the TGoNU to take immediate steps and conclude on key pending tasks, including the Constitutional amendment and legislative review mandate and welcome their stated commitment to the revitalization process.
- I also urge the JMEC Working Committees to continue with their work. Our hope is that the revitalisation process, when successful, will ignite a new momentum and accelerate progress in our work and the realisation of long lasting peace in South Sudan.
- Finally, I welcome the briefings by the SRSG, all the Chairpersons of the Agreement Boards and Commissions today, and commend their members for the progress made so far.